Tired of the Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner?
How about these groups
Groups are great motivators to not only get people running, but to keep them running! And runners are certainly not limited to one group. Here are some quick facts about just a few of the running groups in this area. Check one or more of them out. For more information you can check out the information or like the GWTC - Training Groups on Face Book.
Running Group Name: GWTC Goes Long
Running Group Name: Trailblazers
- Organizer or main contact: Tracy Taylor & GWTC
- Purpose or goal of group: To teach newer runners how to up their mileage safely with nutrition provided, or to allow a place for seasoned runners to run distance in a large group safely.
- How to contract group: Facebook
- When and where: Every Sunday morning we begin by signing waivers, passing out nutrition and training plans and then having a seasoned distance runner give a talk with some helpful tips. This all lasts about 15 minutes. Then we run, following a training plan to get us all to a Half Marathon. Where changes, but we announce it on FaceBook. In the fall we will have an official full marathon training group for the new Tallahassee Marathon course.
- How many: Typically about 40-50 people show up. People rotate out each week but it seems to be steady.
- Main purpose or goal: “This group was started because there are mostly only fast distance running groups or women's only groups and I wanted to make a place where all pace/sex/age felt welcome. A place where people could come and learn how to up their mileage safely with nutrition provided and routes already picked out for them so all they have to do is show up that day...which in my opinion is the hardest part - showing up.” Tracy Taylor.
Running Group Name: Springtime Tallahassee Training Group
- Organizer or main contact:Jim and Kristin Halley
- How to contact: FaceBook
- Main purpose or goal: Train for the Great Potluck Bash 4 Miler Prediction Race on June 3, 2017, while exploring Tallahassee's great trail system over an 8 week period
- Typical work out: Run a trail with Friends
- When and Where: Varies each week. Runs for 8 weeks, starting at 6:30 p.m. on April 11 at Tom Brown Park.
- Number of participants: 20 or so.
- Additional information: Great way to learn about some wonderful places to run. You will need to sign a waiver to participate.
Running Group Name: Turkey Trot Training Group
- Goal for group: Free Eight-Week Specific Training for Springtime 10K
- Duration: Begins on Monday, January 30, 2017, and continues every Monday until March 27
- Time: 5:45 p.m.
- Location: Myers Park at the Picnic Pavilion overlooking the pool (904 Myers Park Drive)
- Preparation: Please be prepared to run 2 miles at your own pace on the first day
- Training plans: Training groups will be available for different groups based on the needs of the participants. It is expected to include groups for beginning, intermediate and advanced runners.
- The training run will begin with a two-mile loop that all runners will run the first week. More advance runners may add on miles by running extra loop(s). Additional miles will be added as the training run progresses.
- Helpful Hints: Be prepared to begin running at the starting time and be dressed appropriately with proper running shoes and reflective clothing. Running headlamps could be helpful as well. Running partners are encouraged, but solo runners are welcome as well.
- Requirements: No fees. You may register and sign a waiver form on the EventBrite website. We will be training on sidewalks and on the road on portions of the actual Springtime course. All participants are responsible for their own safety. Each week course maps will be distributed and volunteers will be out there running with the group. All participants who follow the program will be able to successfully complete the Springtime 10K run.
- Participants are responsible for their own Springtime 10K entry fees and are also encouraged to join Gulf Winds Track Club.
- Contact: Sean or Amanda Hudson for more info about the race.
- 2017 Springtime Training Group Flyer
- Have questions about GWTC Springtime 10K Training Group 2017? Contact Katie Sack, (757-408-3975) or Eric Miller, (832) 444-7529.
Running Group Name: GWTC Beginning Running Group
Running Group Name: SMIRF (Summer Mornings Include Running Fun) Cross Country Program.
- Organizer or main contact: Jacob Williams, G.A.A.I.T. Manager, Capital City Runners, and Tracy Godin, GWTC Training Group Coordinator.
- How to contact: Facebook pages: GWTC Training Groups; Turkey Trot : EventBritte Registration; Jacob@capitalcityrunners.com; Tracy Godin
- Main purpose or goal: The 2016 Tallahassee Turkey Trot Training Group is ready to launch on Thursday,September 29, 2016, at 6:00 p.m., and will end on race day, Noveber 24, 2016. The program last eight weeks on Thursday evenings, alternating weeks between Capital City Runners and the SouthWood Town Center. Jacob Williams, G.A.I.T. Manager at Capital City Runners, and GWTC Training Group Coordinator Tracy Godin will lead the training group. Together they have designed plans for fast and slow groups to train for the 2016 Tallahassee Turkey Trot and for everyone to have a good time. They will get you ready to run your distance of choice on Thanksgiving. You do need to sign up (you know, those waiver things), but there is no cost. Runners are encouraged to bring donations of food items like rice, beans, cans of soup, canned fruit and vegetables, dry pasta and jar pasta, toilet paper and laundry detergent. GWTC member Jude Dugas works with the Big Bend Homeless Coalition - Advocates for Veteran's Housing Program. He will collect the donations and make sure they get to the people who need them.
- Training Plan: Check out The Plan for each week.
Running Group Name: Winthrop Park Express
- Organizer or main contact: Carly Thomas, (850) 631-2184; Tallahassee Parks and Recreation
- How to contact: Carly Thomas, (850) 631-2184, Lucas Williams (891-3825). www.gulfwinds.org
- Main purpose or goal: The purpose of this program, sponsored by the City of Tallahassee Parks and Recreation Department in cooperation with Gulf Winds Track Club, is to provide runners aged 9 and up (emphasis on middle school/prep distance runners) with an off-season summer time venue to gain introduction to the sport of distance running as well as to offer a setting for those competitive runners to perfect their running skills and endurance.
- When and Where: Every weekday (M-F) from 7:45 AM - 9:30 AM, beginning on Monday, June 5th, and ending Friday July 28th (with a week off July 3rd-7th). Meadows Soccer Complex, 4000 N. Meridian Road. Use the Miller Landing Road parking area.
- Number of participants: 30-50 Runners of varying Skill level per day.
- How to register - Online at Eventbrite
Running Group Name: GWTC Tuesday Intervals
- Organizer or main contact: Keith Rowe
- How to connect with group: web site: http://www.wpexpress.org. FaceBook Group page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/202263663151219/
- Main purpose or goal of program: This is a group of friends who simply love to run year round. Rain, shine, cold or hot - we are out there running almost every Monday night. We represent all age groups, experience levels and paces. We only ask that you can run more than a 5k before you come out. Other training groups will get you to 5k; we want to take you beyond that distance. Our stated objective is to get folks to run a half marathon for the first time, but many of us keep coming back after attaining that goal.
- When and where: Monday at 6:00 p.m. at Winthrop Park
- Typical work out. Most of the spring, summer and fall the group runs to a water stop through Betton Hills. It’s 2.6 miles out, 2.6 miles back, but you can add or deduct miles easily in that neighborhood.
- Approximate number of people participating. Sometimes there are thirty folks, sometimes only about five. Each holiday season we run to see the Holiday Lights at Dorothy B. Oven Park which drawers upwards of forty or fifty runners and walkers.
- Other notes: Each spring we move our group to Myers Park to support the Springtime Tallahassee Training Group. Each fall before Thanksgiving we move our group to SouthWood to support the Turkey Trout Training Group. We post any variations in start times on our FaceBook page and our web site.
Running Group Name: Wednesday Evening Interval Group
- Organizer or main contact: Gulf Winds Track Club, Gary Droze and Bill Lott
- How to contact: Gulf Winds Track Club website at http://www.gulfwinds.org. email: Gary Droze or Bill Lott.
- Main purpose or goal: planned, supervised workouts for runners intent on improving in distance races.
- Typical workout: Workout totals 3 miles, but changes each Tuesday so that runners are not doing the same workout each week. Vary from 3x1600.6x800, 4x1200 and more
- When and where: Mornings at Maclay School Track at 6:30 a.m., and evenings at Mike Long Track on FSU Campus at 6:30 p.m.
- Number participating: 12-15 in the morning at Maclay, 30-40 in the evening at FSU
- Additional info: Open to the public, free of charge, and to runners of all abilities. The workouts are held all year around and runners should arrive early enough to warm up before the workout starts. Water is provided. Participants should be able to run at least 3 miles at moderate pace as a minimum fitness level.
Running Group Name: Sunday at Forest Meadows
- Organizer or main contact: Annie and Jeff Bowman
- How to contact: email: Annie Bowman. Facebook
- Main purpose or goal: Running Intervals for a variety of speeds and abilities -Improve 5 or 10k running times.
- Typical work out: 3 miles of intervals on the track, with speed parts varying from 400s to 1 miles.
- When and Where: Usually we meet Wednesday evening on the Leon HS track unless there is a conflict with the school. The time does fluctuate due the lack of lighting during the long winter nights is at 5:30 to 6:00 p.m. with daylight savings.
- Number of participants: 6 to 3 dozen.
- Additional information: We usually meet after work on Wednesdays at the Leon High School track for interval workouts. Come here to find out when and where we're actually running!
Running Group Name: Imitation adults
- Organizer or main contact: Unorganized. David Yon or Felton Wright
- How to contact: email: David Yon; Felton Wright; Mary Jean Yon
- Main purpose or goal: Medium to long run.
- Typical work out: Group 1 5-6 miles, 10 minute pace, some walking. Group 2 10 miles at 8:00 minute pace. A lot of variation though
- When and Where: Start at Forest Meadows Tennis Club 4750 N. Meridian Rd. 7:30 a.m. on Sunday
- Number of participants: Group 1 – 4-6. Group 2 3-8
- Additional information: Run is mostly trails on Lake Overstreet Property, Maclay Gardens and the Phipps Park Property. Runners should either have a state park pass or contribute $2 to run around Lake Overstreet and Maclay Gardens.
Running Group Name: Sunday Streakers
- Organizer or main contact: Jay Silvanima and Nancy Stedman
- How to contact: FaceBook.
- Main purpose or goal: Long run support for those doing near marathon training distance and longer
- Typical work out: Everybody does whatever they need to do according to their training program. We don't run as a pack and there is no set pace, which allows for a wide variety of runners.
- When and Where: Sunday mornings, usually at 7:30. Where is announced each week on FaceBook and GWTC list serve.
- Number of participants: Typically 15 - 30 people show up on Sunday mornings
- Additional information: We usually have a team or two at the local races that do the team thing.
- Organizer or main contact: Jack McDermott and Sue Kelly
- How to contact: Email – Jack McDermott or Sue Kelly
- Main purpose or goal: Get a long run in and have a good time simultaneously!
- Typical work out: 10 miles. People are often training for a marathon and run “extra” miles so there is often a variety of distances from which to choose.
- When and Where: We have one person pick a route each week and that person sets up two or three water stops for us. Therefore, we run in many different places around Tallahassee, both street and off road.
- Number of participants: Anywhere from 3 to 15
- Additional information: