1999 All Big Bend Cross Country Team and Coach of the Year
The following are the Tallahassee Democrat All Big Bend Cross Country Runners and Coach of the Year.
- Coach of the Year – Gary Droze, Maclay Girls and Boys coach. This award is well deserved, both for the way Gary develops his kids and for the final results he gets. The Maclay kids have fun first. But they also have won three straight girls championships and two boys titles in a row. Gary is a member of GWTC and leads the Tuesday night interval sessions. Gary of course is a fine runner in his own right, finishing 4th in the final Grand Prix standing despite missing over half the races because of his coaching duties. He won the Turkey Trot 10K.
- Big Bend Cross Country Boys Runner of the Year – Michael Joanos, Leon High, Junior. Michael had the fastest time in the area – 15:24. He finished 25th at the state 4A meet. He is also won the 1998 Turkey Trot 5K.
- Big Bend Cross Country Girls Runner of the Year – Nicole Posey, Maclay, Junior. Nicole really blossomed in her first year running for Gary Droze at Maclay. She ran an area best 18:38, finished second in the regional and fourth at the state meet.
- The rest of the Big Bend Girls Cross Country Team.
- Amy Coburn, Leon, Senior. Season best 18:48. 13th at Senior All-star meet and 38th at the state 4A meet.
- Jennifer Emo, Maclay, Freshman. Season best 18:57. Got stronger as season went on and led Maclay to 1A state championship with a 3rd place finish. Her best time came at state and was the fastest area time.
- Kara Newell, Maclay, Sophomore. Season Best 18:57. Team Captain finished 6th at State meet for the second straight year. GWTC member and daughter of Jane Johnson, second place finisher in 1999 Grand Prix Competition, Kara has run on three straight state championship teams. She finished 2nd in her grand prix age group.
- Allie Hunter, Lincoln, Freshman. Season best 19:10. Finished 41st in state meet 4A, 2nd in district meet.
- Anne Johansen, Maclay, Junior. Season best 19:57. Played key role in close state meet, passing a number of runners to finish 11th. It was her third straight championship. GWTC member and 2nd place finisher in her grand prix age group.
- Zita Magloire, Chiles, Sophomore. Season best 20:15. Led the brand new program at Chiles by finishing 13th at the state meet.
- Second team: Colleen Beck, Leon; Brie Allaman, Florida High; Molly Drake, Maclay; Kristine Isom, Chiles; and Christy Cooper, Florida High.
- Honorable mention: Amy Pla, Florida High; Jessica Earp, Florida High; Molly Jones, Maclay; Gail Shropshire, Lincoln; Lori Tyler, Marianna; Jenny Edmiston, Apalachicola; and Lacey Johnson, Port St. Joe.
5. The rest of the Boys Big Bend Cross Country Team.
- Ryan Deak, Maclay, Eighth Grader. Season Best 15:34. District 1A champ, Region 1A champ, 6th at state 1A meet. AAU National Cross Country 13-14 year old champion at 4,000 meters with a time of 13:02. 13 year old National Age Group Record Holder at 5,000 meters with a time of 16:27. GWTC member.
- Rod Givens, Port St. Joe, Senior. Season Best 15:53. 4th at 1A state meet. State champ in 1998.
- Thure Caire, Maclay, Senior. Season Best 15:47. Finished 3rd in state 1A with the best time, 15:51 of anyone from the area. Four straight years in top three. Team captain.
- Ted Terry, Florida High, Junior. Season Best 15:58. 6th at state 1A.
- Matt Katz, Maclay, Junior. Season Best 15:58. Second straight 1A title. Finished 8th at state meet. GWTC member.
- Joel Serna, Maclay, Junior. Season Best 16:03. 9th at state 1A meet. Second straight state championship team.
- Boys second team: Larry Rivers, Leon; Bryan Hendricks, Lincoln; Jamaal Wilson, Florida High; Taylor Drake, Maclay; John Allaman, Florida High; Chester Udell, Wewahitchka, Josh Conner, Maclay.
Honorable Mention: Phillip Perry, Lincoln; Brian Kretschman, Lincoln; Gallagher Dempsey, Leon; Clay White, Leon; John Howell, Marianna; Josh Todd, Port St. Joe; Charles Wright, North Florida Christian.