Community AwardPresented by Paula O'Neill
I am here to present the Community Award. It is for an organization or individual who over a period of years, through financial or other contributions, has supported running in the community at large.
GOTRBB is an organization we would like to highlight. What is Girls on the Run of the Big Bend you ask?
Well, GOTRBB was founded locally in 2013. It is a positive youth development program for girls inthe 3rd-8th grades that builds self-esteem and healthy lifestyles. The program runs for 10 weeks in the spring and fall. During the ten weeks, girls meet twice a week after school and learn positive life skills such as positive self-image, healthy relationships, and the importance of service all thewhile training for a 5K led by certified GOTR coaches. At the end of each season, girls participatein a non-competitive celebratory 5K. To date, the program has served over 350 girls who are now leading more joyful, healthy, confident lives.
But behind every organization are people. And behind GOTRBB is an exceptional person. Here are some highlights of this person’s contributions to Girls on the Run of the Big Bend.
- She has served as a Sole Mate where she raised $1,235 to support program expansion and girl scholarships.
- She was a team captain for the GOTRBB inaugural Run-a-thon Fundraiser in September 2015, where her team raised $825 for girl scholarships.
- She’s been a board member since 2014 and has personally made annual contributions totaling $1,250.
- She was the race route coordinator for 3 celebratory 5Ks since 2014.
- She was instrumental in establishing a Girls on the Run team at Buck Lake Elementary.
- She is an on-going champion for GOTRBB and has recruited many volunteers to support themission of the organization.
- And, she was recently elected as the Board Secretary.
It is with great pleasure that I present the 2015 GWTC Community Award to my friend and fellow Tallafastie, Tiffany Roddenberry.