How They Train! Vicky DrozeApril 2015
Did you compete in high school cross country or track?
Did you compete in college cross country or track?
How many years have you been running?
Lifetime personal records
- 5K – 20:26
- 10K – 42:50
What running events do you train for or what are your training goals?
- I mostly train for the 5k distance.
Consider your training over the past 6 months to one year. How many miles a week do you typically run when not injured and consistently running?
What does your typical week of running look like?
- Monday: Weights at the gym with Gary. We also do a little routine of back extensions, seated rows, abs, and pull ups. No running.
- Tuesday: Intervals in the a.m. at Maclay, either with the group or after work, using the workout that the group did that morning.
- Wednesday: Easy 6 miles or spin on a bike at the gym.
- Thursday: Weights in the a.m. I try to also do a set of squats and lunge, followed by 6 miles with the last two miles comprised of 16 striders at a length of 150 meters each. These are to try and improve my stride.
- Friday: Easy 3 or 4 if a race on Saturday. If not, an easy 6 or spin on the bike.
- Saturday: Race or tempo run of about 6 miles
- Sunday: 10 miles
I try to do some kind of core work at least every other day. I often just do push ups , pull ups, and planks at home. I also have some dumbbells I use for various arm exercises.
How much sleep do you usually get at night?
- 8 hours
What time of day do you normally run?
- No normal time. Sometimes morning, sometimes afternoon. My sleep takes priority over running so if I’m too tired or just not feeling it then I’ll sleep in.
What injuries have hampered your training over the past year?
- Nothing really serious.
Do you take any dietary or medical supplements?
What type of running shoes do you prefer?
- The cheapest ones on the shelves that are comfortable. Turns out those are Saucony’s for 39.99 at Sports Authority.
Do you race in a different type of running shoe?
- I do have a lightweight trainer that I use for racing.
Do you stretch?
- Not often enough …
What are your favorite running routes?
- Lake Overstreet, San Luis Park, and the Fern Trail leading to the Cadillac Trail system at Tom Brown Park.
What advice do you have for beginning or experienced runners to help them with their training?
- Do some interval training once a week, consider increasing your mileage, and get enough sleep.