GULF WINDS TRACK CLUB MinutesFebruary 13, 2002 Business Meeting Hosted by Charlie & Linda Yates
Board/GWTC Members present: Jane Johnson, Paul Hiers, Tom Perkins, Bob Prentiss, Lynn Powell, Tim and Lisa Unger, Jerry Ongley, Mike Sims, Joe and Nadine Dexter, David Yon, Jeff Bryan, Charlie Yates, Paul Ahnberg, Gary & Peg Griffin and Dawn Brown
Jane Johnson called the meeting to order at 7:40 pm and quorum was established.
· Gary Griffin discussed the final budget accounting for the Tallahassee Marathon. The Marathon saw a great profit for the club and a handout was distributed. There was discussion of the course logistics and Gary solicited suggestions for increasing participation. Some ideas were to change the course/location to try to incorporate Doak Campbell Stadium and to change the date to allow the race to be a Boston qualifier again. Gary and Peg agreed to direct the race again next year and will continue to work to keep it a great event in Tallahassee.
· Dawn Brown presented the 10-Mile Challenge final budget. Dawn reported that the race enjoyed a good profit (higher than originally budgeted) and that there were no complaints about the entry fee, which was questioned by the board when she presented to proposed budget prior to the race.
· David reported for the Chenoweth Committee that there was an award request made by Susan Cornwell of Belle Vue Middle School to receive $500.00 to help pay for race entry fees, motivational items and a day of team building at Camp Indian Springs for low income students. A motion was made to approve the request, which was seconded and then accepted by vote. David discussed a change in the Pot Luck race from the 1st to the 2nd weekend in June (6/8/02) and that the committee was accepting nominations for XC Annual Awards. Nomination forms are available on the web page.
· Tim Unger reported for Team racing that the BAM team is currently incomplete. The team needs 5 entrants, but has only 4. Tim decided to send a “ghost entry” to fill the 5th slot so that the 4 runners can still enter at the reduced rate. Tim reported that there has been great interest in the River Run teams and also has already been contacted by parties interested in the Azalea Trail event.
**The January minutes were read and accepted.
· Bob Prentiss presented and explained the Treasurer’s report. The social portion of the Annual Awards was financed through the Social budget not the Awards budget. Bob discussed the ledger and the budget report (copies of each were distributed).
· Charlie made a Race Director Coordinator report. He presented a letter to the editor that is to be sent to Mike LaBossiere and that discusses the race schedule calendar. Charlie advised that he has already spoken to Mike and that Mike is very receptive to assistance in assuring the race calendar is accurate and complete.
· Judy Alexander and Brian Corbin were unable to attend the meeting, but Judy dropped off the membership figures. There are currently 425 members represented by 243 memberships.
· Tom Perkins discussed the status of the Springtime 10k. He announced that Jeff Galloway has agreed to give a free lecture the night before the race and thanked Bill McGuire for his help in making this arrangement. It was suggested that a professional quality and full-page ad be placed in the Fleet Foot. Also, Tom announced that he has procured full sponsorship for the wheel chair division this year. Competitors in this division will received the same awards as in the Open division.
· Joe Dexter reported that rental fees have been received from the Tallahassee Senior Citizens and Billy Bowlegs events. Joe advised that the insurance rate had been increased since he last addressed the board and is now $139.18 for the annual coverage (3/1/02 through 2/28/03). A motion was made to approve reimbursing Joe for this expenditure, which was seconded and accepted by vote. Joe presented to the board a sample of the proposed Rails to Trails awards, which will be framed photos taken by Nadine.
· Jane Johnson reported for Sarah Docter Williams that Bonnie Wright will take over as the Social Coordinator. Jane is also still working with the Deckerts on the new club t-shirts. Jane announced that Martha Haynes resigned as Lecture Series Coordinator and Jane asked for suggestions for a replacement. Jane also reported that Jack McDermott has resigned from the Grand Prix Committee and that a replacement will needed. It was suggested that Laura Jensen be contacted to see if she is still interested in the GP Committee, or possibly the Lecture Series. Jane will make the contact with Laura.
OLD BUSINESS/LOOSE ENDS:
· There has been no resolution to the previous discussion held about reviewing and updating the Constitution and By-Laws. Mike Sims requested the board discuss the GP Committee’s duties and especially the development of the Grand Prix Schedule. Jane made a suggestion that the GP Committee should present a proposed amendment to the board, allow the board to discuss it and make additional amendments, then publish it for the club at large for a vote. A motion was made to allow each board member be given the floor for 5 minutes at the next board meeting to express his or her opinion, which seconded and accepted by vote.
· Jeff Bryan discussed the Palace Saloon 5k that is to be run on 4/13/02. He distributed a hand out of the proposed budget that accounts for 300 t-shirts. There was discussion about the number of participants last year and if 300 shirts were needed. It was decided to reduce the shirt order to 200. A motion was made to accept the budget with amendment, which was seconded and accepted by vote.
· Tim Unger opened discussion about the requirement for participating on GWTC teams. He explained that in the past if there were not enough GWTC members interested in an event, then he actively recruited outside talent. He discussed several 2001 races in which this occurred. A motion was made to establish the qualifications of Team Racing that would give first priority to GWTC members, next to non-members who join the club simply to be on a team and finally, if no GWTC members will run, then non-members may be recruited. This motion was seconded and accepted by vote.
The meeting adjourned at approximately 9:40 pm.
The next meeting will be at the home of David and Mary Jean Yon on March 13, 2002. Lisa and Tim will not be able to attend, but Lynn Powell has offered to take the minutes.
Lisa S. Unger, Secretary
These minutes have not reviewed and accepted by the board.