March 8, 2006 Business Meeting Hosted by Margarete Deckert

Board/GWTC Members present: Tom Perkins, David and Mary Jean Yon, Beth Alexander, Nadine Dexter, Judy Alexander, Bonnie Wright, Margarete Deckert, Charlie Yates, Terry Ryan, Bill Lott, Jane Johnson, Peg Griffin, Tim Unger, Reid Vannoy, Debbie Alexander and Gordon Cherr.

Tom Perkins called the meeting to order at 7:40 PM and quorum was established. The February minutes were reviewed. After several corrections were made, a motion was made, seconded and passed by unanimous vote to accept the minutes.


Dave Rogers reviewed a history of the Summer Track Series including our use of Maclay School track for the last 5 or 6 years. Dave learned from Gary Droze that the track recently received a new surface. This was a very large expense. that Gary’s track budget does not cover. Dave suggested that the Club contribute to the track team in some form. Discussion included last summer’s purchase of the timing system that Gary can use as well as the signs we purchased for the track. One idea put forward is to organize an event that would raise funds for the team. It was decided the Board needed a list to document the Club’s money was needed before a blind donation was contributed. David Yon volunteered to obtain an itemized list. No motion was made.

David Yon explained that the City does not want to lose all touch with the Track Series program. They believe they can better advertise than us. They would still like to partner with us. David will talk further with his City contact and bring back a report. All agreed we should work with them to maintain a good relationship.

Gordon Cherr asked the Board to consider contributions to a Mississippi track team devastated by Hurricane Katrina. He presented the facts he had including how the team had raised money through bake sale type fund raisers and that one student costs $107 to outfit. Judy Alexander wondered if the team had approached any shoe companies for assistance. Other issues discussed included: if the Chenoweth Fund should discuss this, whether the coach of this team should be the one to approach the club, and if there is a running Club in Mississippi we could donate funds to. Mary Jean Yon pointed out that the state of Florida had adopted Mississippi as a state to care for after Katrina.


Race Director — Reid Vannoy presented the budget for the Palace Saloon 5K on April 15. A motion was made, seconded, and passed unanimously after clarification of where race proceeds will go.

Treasurer’s Report — Bonnie Wright presented the budget for January and February. The Club is still in good financial shape although she has written a lot of checks recently. She does expect to receive deposits soon for upcoming Club races. Clothing Coordinator — Margarete Deckert had no new business; she still has sufficient inventory.

Newsletter — Fred Deckert no report.

Race Director Coordinator — Charlie Yates announced that Rose City moved their 10K race to April 29, the last Saturday of the month. The director of Meal on Wheels agreed to move this Grand Prix race to May 6. David Yon will check into Grand Prix status of the race since the date changed.

Training Committee — Nadine Dexter circulated flyers and training programs for her new training group that will meet at the Thornton Road area of Miccosukee Greenway beginning March 16. She has received much inquiry about it again outside the Club also and expects a large class. Joe will provide individual coaching for advanced runners that want to improve their 5K times.

Equipment — Nadine for Joe Dexter turned in all checks for the 14 races since January. Many smaller races that are not well organized or advertised do not contact Joe until the Thursday prior to the race.

Chenoweth Fund — David Yon reported that the Fund received a healthy amount of donations with renewed memberships.

Membership — Peg Griffin reported that there are currently 627 members represented by 379 memberships.

Grand Prix Committee — Paul Ahnberg no report.

Racing Team Coordinator — Tim Unger announced he was able to obtain race shirts through Shaw’s Athletics and T Formation in Midway. He reviewed the racing teams and schedule.

Social Coordinator — Kathy Lindsay no report.

Lecture Series — Michael Pasquier no report. Tom Perkins commented he continues to work with Len Harvey at Premier about a weight lifting lecture for runners.

Dave Rogers would like to see a full treasurer’s report printed at least once a year in the Fleet Foot.


There was a motion to adjourn made at 9:05 PM, which was seconded and passed by unanimous vote.

The next board meeting will be held on April 12, 2006 hosted by Nadine and Joe Dexter.

These minutes have not been reviewed and accepted by the Board.

Beth Alexander, Secretary

Contact us for information about GWTC or additions to the website. Submit race results (preferably in Excel) here.
Gulf Winds Track Club, P.O. Box 3447, Tallahassee, FL 32315