GULF WINDS TRACK CLUB MinutesSeptember 10, 2003 Business Meeting Hosted by Mike Sims
Board/GWTC Members present: Jane Johnson, Tom Perkins, Lisa Unger, David Yon, Bob Prentiss, Nadine Dexter, Paul Ahnberg, Jerry Ongley, Mike Sims, Tony Guillen, Jo Lena Pace & Jeff Bryan
Guests present: Anthony De Santis
Jane Johnson called the meeting to order at 7:40 pm and quorum was established. The August minutes were read and accepted by motion, 2nd and vote.
· Anthony De Santis introduced himself as the race director for the Warriors Challenge 5k sponsored by the FSU Semper Fi Society. He had already spoken to Charlie Yates, who provided him a Race Directors’ Handbook, and been directed to Bill McGuire for course certification. The board reassured Anthony that GWTC would be available to assist him in directing this event.
· Training Committee report – Nadine Dexter reported that most of the beginner runners returned for a second week and that 5 new people joined. Nadine explained that the training program was adjusted to accommodate all of the participants. Jane discussed the budget for the Tallahassee Womens Classic (formerly the Womens Distance Festival). The budget provides for race revenues to be split 25/75 between GWTC and the Womens Pavillion. The race has lost their major sponsor, Comcast. A motion was made to accept the budget, which was seconded and passed by vote.
· Membership report – Judy Alexander reported by phone that there are currently 726 members represented by 403 memberships.
· Treasurer’s report – Bob Prentiss distributed and discussed the Financial and Budget reports. There was discussion about the Breakfast on the Track event that netted $194.00 and membership dues projected to be $9000.00 but so far total $6800.00. A motion was made to accept the reports as presented, which was seconded and passed by vote.
· Triathlete report – Tony Guillen reported that the Triathletes would meet on Friday September 12th at Beef O’Brady’s. Tony advised that summer is usually slow for meetings, but that the group picks back up in the fall. Tony announced that “Marathon” Jack McDermott would be competing in his first triathlon, the Demolition Man to be held on September 14th.
· Equipment report – Nadine Dexter reported for Joe that all equipment is fine, but Joe had to buy a new bullhorn and some traffic vests. They started with 50 vests but ended up with only 20, so Joe bought 10 more so now they have 30 vests.
· Chenoweth report -David reported that the committee is waiting for 2 new requests. The first will be from Gretchen Everhart and the second from Belle Vue. David reported that Judy and the NFC Cross Country team gave back their $1000.00 Chenoweth award because they could not make the necessary transportation arrangements for the meet they had planned to attend.
· Newsletter report- Lisa Unger reported that a she received a phone call from a club member who was concerned because the Grand Prix results and schedule were not accurate in the Fleetfoot. There was discussion about the accuracy of the Fleetfoot race results and race calendar. Discussion will continue at future meetings.
· Lecture Series – Bill McGuire will present “Reel in 50 Years of Running” on 10/9.
· Social Coordinator report – no report; Clothing Coordinator report – no report; Team Racing report – no report; Race Director report – no report; Race Director Coordinator report – no report
· Jane proposed the 2004 Grand Prix schedule. There was discussion about a few of the races and it was determined that the Tom Brown Bash would be removed and the 30k would remain on the schedule. A motion was made to approve the schedule with the changes, which was seconded and passed by vote. There was discussion about the Summer Grand Prix. It was determined that a separate committee is responsible for technical details and administration of the Summer GP.
· Jane discussed the 2004 elections slate.
· A letter of thanks from Chenoweth Athlete of the Year award winner Alex Miletich of Chiles High School was read. The letter will be posted on the web page and in the Fleetfoot.
· Jo Lena discussed the computerized scoring system. She now has a new volunteer (Jeff Bryan) to help her and advised that the most tedious part of it is cross referencing memberships.
The meeting adjourned at approximately 9:07 pm.
Jane Johnson will host the next meeting on October 8, 2003.
These minutes have not been reviewed and accepted by the board.
Lisa Unger, Secretary