February 11, 2004 Business Meeting Hosted by Charlie Yates

Board/GWTC Members present: Tom Perkins, Jane Johnson, David Yon, Joe & Nadine Dexter, Jerry Ongley, Charlie Yates, Bonnie Wright, Jo Lena Pace, Jeff Bryan, Lisa Unger, Fred & Margarete Deckert , Fran McLean, Hobson Fulmer, Jimmy Kalfas, Jeanne O’Kon, Judy Alexander, Brian Corbin,
Terry Ryan Guests present: none

Tom Perkins called the meeting to order at 7:34 PM and quorum was established. The January minutes were read and accepted by motion, 2nd and vote.


Terry Ryan discussed creating a data base of runners who have participated in races and the GWTC membership to be used for direct mail purposes. He has about 1000 names and addresses so far. He is going to use a direct mail campaign for the Shamrock 5k race. Based on his success rate he will suggest this be used for other races. Terry will re-address the data base after the Shamrock 5k.

Jane Johnson was contacted by Bob James of the FSU Committee of 30 but no representative of the committee came to the meeting.

Jimmy Kalfas opened discussion about the Step up Florida event that will culminate in Tallahassee on March 2, 2004. He passed out a sign up sheet for participation and also suggested GWTC use the opportunity to set up an information table at the Capitol.

Race Director Coordinator report – Charlie Yates reported that a new race to benefit cancer research has chosen the date 3/27, which is also the date of the Lee’s Place 5k and the Red Hills Tri.

Newsletter report – Fred Deckert reported that Pheona Kaiser has copies of the Fleet Foot from the past 10 – 12 years and is willing to donate them to a good home as she prepares to move. David Yon agreed to accept the copies. Fred discussed a concern about getting the Fleet Foot out by the first of the month. He may have to move the deadline for submission to a date earlier than the 20th of the previous month. No change has been made at this time. Fred also discussed the electronic version of the Fleet Foot and suggested it be made available as a link on the web page or with a URL printed in the Fleet Foot. Also discussed was the possibility of soliciting corporate sponsors for the Fleet Foot and a “Seniors” column. Fred discussed the per-page pricing of Fleet Foot advertising and the possibility of revising the pricing structure. He will bring a schedule to the next meeting.

Training Committee report – Nadine Dexter presented 3 proposed budgets for the 2004 Training groups including a Marathon/Half Marathon group, a Springtime group and a Beginning Runner group. A motion was made to accept the budgets with the slight change of increasing the bottom line to $1500.00. The motion was seconded and accepted by vote.

Treasurer’s report – Bonnie Wright discussed the Treasurer’s report, which included a list of recent disbursement and income. Bonnie will continue to develop reports that will provide more information. Bonnie reported that Bob Prentiss has agreed to be the Springtime Treasurer. A motion was made to add Bob’s name back onto the checking account signatory for this purpose and until 2 weeks after Springtime. The motion was seconded and passed by vote.

Race Director(s) report(s) – Jeff Bryan presented the Palace Saloon 5k budget. Jeff advised that the race directors are still deciding about the shirt and that may change the final budget. Jeff has met with the Tri Eagle representative and has arranged for free beer and maybe some other promotional items. Jeff indicated that the Palace 5k was a Grand Prix race last year and will be again this year and also that this year is the 30th anniversary for the race. A motion was made to accept the proposed budget, which was seconded and accepted by vote. Dawn Brown presented the final budget for the Ten Mile Challenge and announced her retirement as race director for that event. Joe Dexter presented the Flash budget, advised that about 35-40 shirts were left over and turned over registration fees to Bonnie. Joe also announced that the Flash course will be changed for 2005. Joe also presented a $300.00 check from the Shaw’s Five Miler for the Chenoweth Fund.

Equipment report – Joe Dexter turned in several rental fee checks and announced that the GWTC trailer will be in the Springtime parade.

Chenoweth report -David Yon reported that the Seminole Invitational Track meet will take place on April 9th & 10th and called for volunteers. The Pot Luck will be run on 6/5. David also reported the Chris Sumner, coach at Godby, requested $300.00 – $350.00 for shoes for under-privileged kids. A motion was made to authorize the Chenoweth Committee to purchase shoes, which was secoinded and passed by vote

Membership report – Brian Corbin reported that there are currently 534 members represented by 303 memberships and that several members sent in additional payment to make up for the dues increase.

Racing Team Coordinator report – Lisa Unger reported for Tim Unger that no responses have been received for the Blue Angles Marathon therefore there will not be a GWTC team, however, River Run and Azalea Trail teams are being coordinated.

Lecture Series report – no report; Clothing Coordinator report – no report;
Social Coordinator report – no report; Triathlete report – no report


The meeting adjourned by motion at approximately 9:04 PM. Jerry Ongley will host the next meeting on March 10, 2004.

These minutes have been reviewed and accepted by the board. Lisa Unger, Secretary.


Contact us for information about GWTC or additions to the website.
Submit race results (preferably in Excel) here.
Gulf Winds Track Club, P.O. Box 3447, Tallahassee, FL 32315