January 11, 2006 Business Meeting Hosted by Bonnie Wright

Board/GWTC Members present:Tom Perkins, David and Mary Jean Yon, Beth Alexander, Joe and Nadine Dexter, Paul Ahnberg, Judy Alexander, Brian Corbin, Bonnie Wright, Fred and Margarete Deckert, Charlie Yates, Terry Ryan, Bill Loft and Jack McDermott.

Tom Perkins called the meeting to order at 7:38 PM and quorum was established. The December minutes were reviewed. A motion was made, seconded and passed by unanimous vote to accept the minutes as presented.


Nadine Dexter presented information on a new running group to form later in the spring. The class will be held on Thursday evenings beginning March 9 through May 11, The class will be less formal than the fall one and will meet at Miccosukee Greenway. Discussion concerned the possibility of large numbers of cars at the Greenway. Nadine will contact Leon County Parks and Recreation to make sure it is OK to hold the class there.

David Yon discussed donating a sign costing up to $200 to Maclay School that displays the track rules. A motion was made, seconded and passed by unanimously.

Terry Ryan inquired about the Freedom Garden at Forest Meadows. He noticed it needs attention and will solicit donors of plants and work on repairing the sign.

Bonnie Wright is working on securing a water fountain at Forest Meadows near the horse shoe pit, as well as a shower. She asked for a $350 — 700 in funds to give the city to install them. She will come back next month with a final figure and more details.

Tom Perkins moved that Gulf Winds separate with the city of Tallahassee and run the Summer Track Series. The motion was seconded, Gary Droze and Perry Shaw are willing to assist as usual with administering the event. In the past the Club has donated $1000 to the Series in order for runners to compete for free, but the city never accounted for the money. Discussion included what the expenses would include such as ribbons, t-shirts, and timers. The motion was tabled until next month when a budget will be presented.


Race Director — Jack McDermott presented the budget for the Tallahassee Marathon on February 19. Jack presented a detailed booklet about the marathon. Proceeds will be split 50/50 between the Chenoweth Fund and the Club. A motion was made, seconded and passed by unanimous vote to accept the budget as presented. Fred Deckert presented the proceeds for the Ultra. He announced that Gary and Peg Griffin will direct the race next year.

Race Director Coordinator — Charlie Yates announced he was impressed with the Kiwanis 5K in Bainbridge last weekend. They would like to be considered for the Grand Prix in 2007. Charlie announced that the GWTC sign at the FSU track needs repair. He will coordinate this.

Clothing Coordinator — Margarete Deckert reported that new shirts have arrived. She has tank and muscle shirts in blue.

Newsletter — Fred Deckert discussed full size inserts for race flyers in the center of the Fleet Foot. Pros and cons were discussed about archiving Fleet Foot issues with torn out pages occurred, as well as the convenience to have full size race flyers. He will try it a few months to see if race directors respond, but he will not include more than 2 per issue.

Training Committee — Nadine Dexter reported that Julie Clark with have a training run with group leaders on January 30th at 545 pm to review the Springtime course. She still needs volunteers.

Equipment — Joe Dexter advised there is a second race this Saturday in addition to Bowlegs but has not received confirmation from the race director.

Treasurer’s — Bonnie Wright presented the budget for 2006. Everyone agreed that a conservative, well planned budget was offered. A motion was made, seconded and passed by unanimously to accept the budget as presented.

Membership — Brian Corbin reported that there are currently 934 members represented by 545 memberships. Triathlete — no report.

Chenoweth Fund — David Yon no report.

Grand Prix Committee — Paul Ahnberg distributed the Grand Prix Policy Statement. The 2 changes include 1) the number of awards in age groups will be 3-5 depending on the number of finishers in each group to be determined by the committee and the number of races each year for adults or children was given a range.

Racing Team Coordinator — Tim Unger announced the race schedule this year will be less competitive and more social except for a few key races.

Social Coordinator — Kathy Lindsay no report.

Lecture Series — Michael Pasquier no report. Tom Perkins reported he is working on series on the topic of weight training and runners.


There was a motion to adjourn made at 8:18 PM, which was seconded and passed by unanimous vote.

The next board meeting will be held on February 8, 2006 hosted by Charlie Yates.

These minutes have not been reviewed and accepted by the Board.

Beth Alexander, Secretary

Contact us for information about GWTC or additions to the website. Submit race results (preferably in Excel) here.
Gulf Winds Track Club, P.O. Box 3447, Tallahassee, FL 32315