GULF WINDS TRACK CLUB MinutesJune 12, 2002 Business Meeting Hosted by Joe & Nadine Dexter
Board/GWTC Members present: Judy Alexander, Brian Corbin, Joe & Nadine Dexter, Bob Prentiss, Tom Perkins, Jeff Bryan, Tim & Lisa Unger, Mike Sims, Lynn Powell, Jerry Ongley and Charlie Yates
Tom Perkins called the meeting to order at 7:40 pm and quorum was established.
The May minutes were read and accepted.
· Chenoweth report – no report
· Equipment report – Joe Dexter had nothing to report but discussed acquiring signs to replace the wooden “GWTC Road Race In Progress” signs. He would like something lighter and easier to use. Tom suggested contacting Fast Signs to see if they would give a discount for having the business name printed on the signs. Joe also discussed a new piece of equipment that would be used for marking courses. It is a wand that sprays powdered chalk. Joe will gather more information to present next month.
· Race Director Coordinator report – Charlie Yates reported that he has successfully coordinated the winter distance events. Charlie distributed a race calendar with the order of the races: 10 Mile Challenge on 12/7; Tallahassee Ultramarathon on 12/14; GWTC 30k on 1/18 and Tallahassee Marathon/Half on 2/16.
· Social Coordinator report – no report
· Team Racing report – Tim Unger reported that he has been working with Race Directors in several Florida regions to help them coordinate team registration. As a result, the RD for the Fiesta 10k has changed their registration system and teams for that event will no longer be capped at 6 members. Tim advised the board that there had been a scoring problem with the team portion of the Gate to Gate event. GWTC had been awarded third place, but when the error was corrected, GWTC was actually in second place. Tim contacted the other team and managed to switch the award trophies. Tim discussed the GWTC feather flag and that he and Bill Lott are sharing the responsibility of getting the flag to local events. Tim was asked why some FSU runners were scoring for other clubs’ teams when several of them have received funding from GWTC through the Chenoweth Fund. Tim explained that some other clubs’ recruit fast runners. Previously there had been a debate about GWTC recruiting non-members for its teams. It had been decided that our club’s teams would consist of club members first. Only if not enough GWTC members sign up for the team would Tim have outsiders run for GWTC. Since many of the FSU runners are not actually club members, they may not qualify for our teams.
· Lecture Series – no report
· Treasurer’s report – Bob Prentiss presented and explained the Financial and Budget reports. Handouts were distributed for reference. Bob advised the board that he is handling the registration for the trailer through the Leon County Tax Collector. Bob read several letters of thanks. One was received from Gilchrist Elementary school for GWTC’s donation to their silent auction and another was from Elder Care thanking the club for its support of the Miles for Meals race and their hope to be Grand Prix race again in the future. A motion was made to accept the budget as presented which was seconded and accepted by vote. Judy opened discussion about the $150.00 registration fee for next year’s Relay for Life. She advised the board that the spaces were already being reserved and made a motion that this fee be paid by the club. The motion was seconded and accepted by vote.
· Membership report – Brian Corbin reported that there are 751 members represented by 433 memberships. Brian reported that the Printshop turned the newsletter around in about a week. Brian advised the board that a new membership had been received by contact made through the club’s answering machine. The caller heard Brian’s phone number in the message and then called him and is now a member. Another caller left a message and was directed to Brian by Lynn Powell, who checks the answering machine weekly. This resulted in another new membership.
· Triathlete report – no report, but Lynn advised that the Red Hills Tri will be on the same day as the Furry Scurry and unfortunately, there’s nothing they can do about it.
· Clothing Coordinator – no report
· Lisa opened discussion about an e-mail that was on the one-list. The posting requested that the agenda for each month’s meeting be posted in advance. Lisa advised the board that agenda items are often received at the last minute. The board found no reason that the agenda could not be posted in advance with a disclaimer that additional items might be added without notice. Lisa will post the agenda on or about the Tuesday before the meetings.
· Joe opened discussion about a 10k that Shaw From wants to direct in the fall. Joe agreed that there are no open dates in the fall but would encourage Shaw to consider 11/16 instead. It is Shaw’s hope to have a race on the same level as the Springtime 10k. It may be difficult to find a 10k course in the Market Square area he is interested in, but a 5 Miler may be more easily arranged.
· Joe also discussed a Duathlon he and Nadine are interested in directing. He said it would be “just for fun” and is to be staged at the 9-mile point of the Bike Trail. He would like to coordinate with Bonnie to make this a social event as well as a race.
The meeting adjourned at approximately 8:30 pm.
The next meeting will be at the home of Tim & Lisa Unger on July 10, 2002.
Lisa Unger, Secretary
These minutes have not been reviewed and accepted by the board.