GULF WINDS TRACK CLUB MinutesMarch 12, 2003 Business Meeting Hosted by David Yon
Board/GWTC Members present: Lisa Unger, David Yon, Jerry Ongley, Jane Johnson, Charlie Yates, Tom Perkins, Nadine Dexter, Jeff Bryan, Brian Corbin, Judy Alexander, Mike Sims, Tony Guillen, Jo Lena Pace, Jeff Dougherty, Paul Ahnberg, Paul Hiers, Fred & Margarete Deckert, Peg & Gary Griffin and Bonnie Wright
Guest: Alice and Ernie Sims
Jane Johnson called the meeting to order at 7:34 pm and quorum was established. The February minutes were read and accepted by motion, 2nd and vote.
· Gary and Peg Griffin discussed options for re-scheduling the rained-out Marathon. Peg and Gary were asked to explore the option of having a Marathon concurrent with the Ultra in December of 2003. They will see if the Wakulla Springs facility is available on the Sunday after the Ultra. There will not be a half marathon offered, however, half marathon pre-registrants will be invited to run the full marathon. A motion was made to authorize Peg and Gary to make refunds at their discretion. The motion was seconded and accepted by vote. They plan to stage a 2004 marathon event at FSU, which will include a half marathon.
· Alice and Ernie Sims advised the board that 55-65 Capital City Christian Cruiser kids have volunteered to help in the concession stand and at the Seminole Invitational track meet. They discussed the working relationship that the CCCC has with GWTC and the uniforms and wind suits that GWTC helped to provide for them in the past. They appealed to GWTC to purchase 75 new uniforms that would cost $28.00 a piece. David supplied them with the appropriate Chenoweth Fund Request form that they will complete for further consideration of their request.
· Clothing Coordinator report – Maragete Deckert made a motion for the club to purchase 50 shirts at $6.00 each to be added to her clothing inventory. The motion was seconded and accepted by vote.
· Social Coordinator report – Bonnie Wright reported that the pre-Springtime breakfast social run will be held on 3/30 at the playground in Myers Park.
· Race Director Coordinator report – Charlie Yates reported that he has revised the Race Director Handbook and now has copies available for race directors.
· Membership report – Brian reported that the club has 570 members represented by 329 memberships.
· Current Race Reports – Tom Perkins reported that HPSE has reduced their sponsorship from $4000.00 to $2000.00 and Applejam’s and TGIF have pulled out completely. Springtime needs volunteers due to a scaled back budget.
· Triathlete report – Tony Guillen reported that the Red Hills Triathlon is to be held at Maclay Gardens on 3/29/03. It will include a 1/3-mile swim, a 30-mile bike ride and a 3.2-mile run. Kathy McDaris is the race director and there are over 100 pre-registrants so far. Bob Keller and Mary Jane Tappen have been holding beginners clinics in preparations for the RHT. Tony reported that the Triathletes have a social meeting at 7:30 pm on the second Friday of each month at Beef O’Brady’s on Thomasville Road. Also, the Kids’ Triathlon is scheduled for Mother’s Day weekend.
· Lecture Series – David Yon reported that he and Mary Jean will present a lecture about their recent trip to Mt. Kilimanjaro in Africa.
· Treasurer’s report – Bob was not present, but Lisa distributed copies of the Financial and Budget reports and read a brief explanation.
· Chenoweth report -David reported that Kathy McDaris (race director of the RHT) requested the Chenoweth Fund accept a $1000.00 donation from Verizon as they are willing to donate to a 501( c )3. The Chenoweth Fund would then provide financial support for the RHT. The board voted to recommend this action. Bonnie Wright requested $500.00 for the Kids’ Tri and the board voted to approve the funding. Volunteers are needed for the Seminole Invitational.
· Equipment report – Nadine reported for Joe that volunteers are need for the Rails to Trails race and she also turned in a final budget for the Flash 12k.
· Team Racing report – No report; Newsletter report- No report
· Discussion was held about the annual membership dues. A motion was made to raise the dues by $5.00. The motion was seconded and accepted by vote. The new rate will become effective with renewals beginning in 10/03.
· Discussion was held about GWTC’s new club affiliate, AARC, and receipt of its logo that GWTC can use.
· A decision was made for discussion about branding techniques and Grand Prix guidelines to remain pending until next month.
· Discussion was held about the proposed 2003 general Operating budget.
· A decision was made for discussion about a Running Development Committee to remain pending until next month.
The meeting adjourned at approximately 9:37 pm.
The next meeting will be hosted by Jane Johnson on April 9, 2003.
Lisa Unger, Secretary
These minutes have not been reviewed and accepted by the board.