GULF WINDS TRACK CLUB MinutesMay 8, 2002 Business Meeting Hosted by Tom Perkins & Jeanne O`Kon
Board/GWTC Members present: Jane Johnson, Brian Corbin, Joe & Nadine Dexter, Bob Prentiss, David Yon, Tom Perkins, Jeanne O`Kon, Jeff Bryan, Paul Ahnberg, Tim & Lisa Unger, Mike Sims
Jane Johnson called the meeting to order at 7:55 pm and quorum was established. Jeanne O’Kon was thanked for providing a terrific buffet.
· Chenoweth report – David Yon reported that the Pot Luck flyers were printed and provided copies for all present. David reported that a request for funding from the Chenoweth Fund was made by Pam Jamerson of Gretchen Everhart School. A motion was made then seconded and the board voted to grant the request.
· Team Racing report – Tim Unger reported for Team Racing. The 2 teams that won River Run awards received both individual awards for each runner and a group award for each whole team. Tim presented Jane Johnson with her individual award for scoring on the Women’s Open team and displayed the Plexiglas group awards. The group awards will become part of the Team Racing Awards display that Tim manages. Tim reported that GWTC fielded a full team for the Fiesta 10k, but that the team came in 4th place. Tim provided flyers for the Eglin Air Force Base Gate To Gate run which is the final team event for 2002. He reported that there is almost a complete team for this event. The GWTC feather flag will be displayed at the Relay for Life event.
· Equipment report – Joe Dexter reported that the big clock will be used for the Relay for Life and the Regional District Track meets. A suggestion was made to make a sign to put on top of the clock(s) acknowledging them as property of GWTC. This was well received but no decision was made.
· Race Director Coordinator report- David Yon reported for Charlie Yates that Dawn, Fred, Peg, and David are still discussing the dates for the winter long distance events and that an agreement has not yet been reached. A motion was made then seconded and accepted by board vote to set the Marathon date for 2/16 (President’s Day) and to work the other races around that date. This may be re-addressed if it conflicts the Run for the Cookies.
· Social Coordinator – Jane Johnson reported for Bonnie Wright that the social schedule is now on the web page.
· Springtime Report – Tom Perkins reported that not all of the sponsorship money has been received yet. To date he reports receipts of $21,416.00 and expenditures of $14,509.00 for a net profit to GWTC of $6,900.00. There were 960 registered runners this year. He reported that HPSE and Premier Fitness Club have already committed for the 2003 event. Tom suggested that the 2003 event by directed by a committee rather than a single race director. Also, the medals were once again a success and he recommended they be continued for 2003. Tom introduced the idea of a course change for 2003 but no decision was made.
· Lecture Series – This function has been taken over by Art Remillard and good results are anticipated. The first lecture this year will be the High School athletes panel discussion on May 16 at Myers Park.
· Treasurer’s report – Bob Prentiss presented and explained the Financial and Budget reports. Handouts were distributed for reference. Bob explained that some of the funds borrowed from the Building Fund approximately 2 years ago are now being repaid. The new GWTC “I Run This Town” T-shirts have been paid by the GWTC Sales account, which now has a negative balance. A motion was made then seconded and the reports were accepted by board vote.
· Membership report – Brian Corbin reported that there are 711 members represented by 407 memberships. Brian reported that Mike sent the Fleetfoot to the Printshop on Saturday and the finished newsletter was received back the following Friday, which is a good turn around time.
· Triathletes report – There are several athletes going to Panama City for a big Triathlon event.
· Clothing Coordinator – The “I Run This Town” T-shirts are available. It was decided that the price could be reduced on several small sleeveless GWTC shirts that have been in stock for a long time.
· The board discussed the content of the Fleetfoot and would like to see a more family oriented and running related publication. It was suggested that the articles be limited to one page. Some ideas for new/additional content included a monthly section to be called “Featured Feet” which would spotlight a different club member with each edition, and a section for upcoming member birthdays or other special occasions.
· Mike Sims opened discussion about the Grand Prix Committee. He, and the rest of the committee, would like an amendment made to the Constitution to provide more guidelines for the Grand Prix committee, especially for race scheduling. There was some discussion about the proper procedures for making amendments. It was determined that several steps are involved including a written proposal signed by 5 club members and a vote at the annual meeting (currently the Holiday party in December). A motion was made then seconded and accepted by vote to form a committee to review the Constitution and possibly make revisions or updates. The committee would hold meetings open to the general membership of the club. A motion was made then seconded and accepted by vote to make a resolution to the Constitution. The name of the “Awards Committee” will be changed to the “Grand Prix Committee” and include the following, “The Committee’s proposed race schedule and awards budget shall be presented to the board of directors for acceptance by majority vote of the directors present.”
The meeting adjourned at approximately 9:20 pm.
The next meeting will be at the home of Joe & Nadine Dexter on June 12, 2002.
Lisa Unger, Secretary
These minutes have not been reviewed and accepted by the board