GULF WINDS TRACK CLUB MinutesOctober 10, 2001 BUSINESS MEETING Hosted by Cris and Sarah Docter-Williams
Board/GWTC Members present: Paul Hiers, Tom Perkins, Bob Prentiss, Lynn Powell, Tim and Lisa Unger, David Yon, Charlie Yates, Jerry Ongley, Sarah Docter-Williams, Mike Sims, Gary Kenney, Laura Jensen
Guests present: Rachel Stein and Serena Wilson – Arnold Air Society ROTC
Paul Hiers called the meeting order at 7:45 pm and quorum was established. The September minutes were read and were accepted.
Rachel Stein and Serena Wilson from the Arnold Air Society ROTC presented an idea for a community service 5k event to benefit 9/11 victims. They asked for help/race directing expertise. Some suggestions were made including course suggestions and for the group to procure a Race Director’s Handbook.
· Gary Kenney discussed the Fall Fest events happening the weekend of 10/20-21 including 4 running events.
· Dawn Brown discussed the 10-Mile Challenge. She confirmed the race date as 12/1/01. Dawn explained that there are more/higher expenses in presenting the race including Fleetfoot advertising and the long sleeve t-shirt. Discussion was held about the entry fee but it was not changed. A motion was made to accept the budget as presented and it was accepted by vote.
· David Yon reported for the Chenoweth Committee including a recap of the Fall Fest events. David advised that Toma Wilkerson has reformatted the membership application to include a separate line item for people to donate to the Chenoweth Fund. Also, the Fleetfoot ad has been updated and will include photos. The committee continues to work on the Running Diary. The next meeting will held on October 15, 2001 at 7pm.
· Tim Unger reported for Team Racing. He has compiled a budget, which includes the purchase of 50 additional racing singlets, and a racing schedule for 2002. Discussion was held about the shirt order. It was clarified that runners who earned shirts last year would not earn new shirts this year. It was decided that Team Racing is to become a GWTC budget item and will be discussed again with the rest of the budget.
· Lynn reported on behalf of Brian Corbin that the current membership is 794 members represented by 489 memberships.
· Bob Prentiss presented and explained the Treasurer’s report and announced that the Prefontaine event made a profit of about $60.00.
· Sarah Docter-Williams reported that the next social event will be a dinner at Carlos’ Cuban café and she is accepting reservations. The cost for dinner will be $10.00 and the club will provide limited beer and soft drinks.
· Charlie Yates presented the Race Director Coordinator’s report. Charlie explained that the St. Marks Conservatory would not allow the 30k to use the wildlife sanctuary anymore, so it will be moved to Natural Bridge. Charlie also discussed the need to proof read race ads before publishing in the Fleetfoot. Charlie expressed his willingness to do this if people e-mail him a copy of any race ad when submitting it to the Fleetfoot.
· Discussion was held about the presentation made by Kurt Westfall concerning pole vaulting. It was determined that insurance questions still exist and so the issue is pending until more information can be collected.
· David relayed a message of thanks from Gary Droze for approving the Chenoweth Fund support for both the All Star Meet and for assisting Ryan Deak.
· Sarah opened discussion about the necessity of past presidents to serve on the board. It was determined that it is required by the Constitution for past presidents and past-past president to serve.
· Lynn Powell reported that she is checking the answering machine weekly and there have been no real messages. She will continue to check on a regular basis.
The meeting adjourned at approximately 9:30 pm. The next meeting will be held on November 14th at Lynn Powell’s home.
Lisa S. Unger, Secretary
These minutes have not been reviewed by the board.