for January 11, 2023, Hosted by David and Mary Jean Yon

Voting Members Present: Jerry McDaniel, Jennifer Hay, Jeanne O’Kon, Peg Griffin, Mark Priddy, Tom Perkins, David Yon, Mary Jean Yon, Allen Blay, Lisa Unger, Robert Skrob, Judy Alexander, Tina Bahmer, Jo Lena Pace, Mark Tombrink, Chris O’Kelley, Debbie Peters. Voting Members Absent: Eric Trombley. Non-Voting Members Present: Bill Lott, Carter Hay, Kory Skrob.

I. Opening and Introduction: The meeting was called to order by Jerry McDaniel at 7:01. A quorum was established. The January 2023 agenda was approved without objection. A motion to approve the December 14, 2022 minutes with slight corrections was made, seconded, and passed.

II. Old Business/Race Closeouts:

a. Tannenbaum 6K: Peg Griffin reported for Herb Wills. The total expenditures were $2203.98, and the total revenue was $2,520.70. The net revenue of $316.72 stays with GWTC. A motion to approve the race closeout was made, seconded, and passed.

b. Tallahassee Ultradistance Classic: No report.

III. New Business:

a. Flash 12K/6K: Proposed budget: Peg Griffin reported for Keith Rowe. There is an anticipated revenue of $5,800 and expenditures of $4,562.66 for a net profit of $1,237.34. Keith plans to split the net revenue 50/50 with CurePSP and GWTC. A motion to approve the proposed race budget was made, seconded, and passed.

b. Digitize Old Fleet Foot Magazines: Mark Priddy asked for discussion about possibly digitizing the old club newsletters. The newsletters go back to the 1970s. They contain a lot of good historical information. It would cost roughly $10,000 to have it done. It could be done in stages, possibly five years at a time. Peg pointed out that the web site has some of the years electronically but not all of them. Mae Cleveland has indexed many years of the Fleet Foot. Robert Skrob will put an ad in the upcoming Fleet Foot asking for a volunteer to scan the old newsletters.

c. Nomination: Grand Prix Committee: Mike Savage would like to stay on the Grand Prix committee, along with Keith Rowe. The first Grand Prix race is the 30K this weekend. The committee will need to select a Chair. Jerry has several names that he is considering for the committee. Two members are supposed to rotate off each year. The Bylaws call for seven members on the committee.

d. Club Communication: Jennifer Hay inquired as to how communication occurs specifically within the Club and who is responsible for Facebook, email, the web site, and the newsletter. Jo Lena is taking over the responsibility of sending out the electronic version of the Fleet Foot to members. At the December meeting, the possibility of texting club members was discussed. There is the Google group where the group members can post whenever they want if they have joined the group. The Tri Club has a private group for their communication. A monthly member e-mail is a possibility. Jo Lena and Peg are working on using RunSignUp to send e-mail to the entire group. Jennifer Hay volunteered to compose the monthly member e-mail with announcements of upcoming events. She will present an example of a format for the monthly e-mail at the February meeting.

e. Grand Prix/Volunteerism: Jerry pointed out that the Tri Club requires a minimum of five hours of volunteerism in order to qualify for the Grand Prix awards. The Tri Club is much smaller. The member submits a volunteer report to the Grand Prix Committee and it has to be documented. In the Tri Club, they accept any active service that benefits the community or the club. Jerry pointed out that the GWTC struggles to get enough volunteers to work at races and help carry out all of the responsibilities. No conclusion was reached about how this would be implemented, so no motion was made. The Board will re-visit this concept at a later date.

IV. Announcements from Officers: Tom Perkins announced that he spoke to Dr. Lonnie Draper and asked for a list of nurses and other medical personnel who might be interested in providing emergency care at club races. While they cannot accept money due to the Good Samaritan rule, they can receive a gift or gift card. This will help with the cost of providing an ambulance at races. Mary Jean and David met with EMS and will continue to negotiate with them to save money.

V. Reports:

a. Treasurer: Peg Griffin reported that the net assets as of December 31, 2022 were $256,609.19, and net revenue to date was $33,494.68. Board members receive a balance sheet every month by e-mail outlining the accounts. A profit and loss statement is also sent, listing every transaction. The fiscal year starts on July 1 to June 30. She asked Board members to send Gulf Winds business e-mail to:

b. Triathlete Club: Robert reported that they held a nice Christmas party and will hold Awards this month. Tri Club president Eric Trombley will report at future meetings.

c. Race Director Coordinator: Mary Jean will call a meeting after the Tallahassee Marathon. The new race directors for the Palace Saloon 5K are Tom Perkins, Jeanne O’Kon, and Bill Lott.

d. Newsletter: The newsletter deadline is the 20th of the month.

e. Membership: Jo Lena Pace reported that new members are joining GWTC every day. As a person’s membership expires, they receive four notifications by e-mail notifying them that their membership is expiring. There are currently 1,126 members as of today (last year at this time was 1179), and 659 households (last year 638). The Google group has 77 members.

f. Diversity/IRC: No report.

g. Education and Lecture: Mark Tombrink reported that Chika Okoro provided him with a reference for a possible speaker. He’ll provide more information at the February meeting.

h. Website: Peg is collecting profiles of each Board member to post on the web site. It is optional to include phone numbers for any Board member who doesn’t want it listed.

i. Chenoweth Fund: Nothing to report.

j. Merchandise: Laura McDermott sent a message stating that Laura and Sherri are looking for replacements for the merchandise coordinator position as they both have too many other commitments. They are happy to do it until someone else volunteers.

k. Equipment: Bill Lott reported that, in November, batteries were replaced in two Chronomixes kept at the storage facility. While the Chronomixes now work, the display on one is hard to read and has a large dark spot in the middle of it. This Chronomix will need to be sent for repair and the display replaced. In the past, similar repairs have cost around $75.00. As reported last month, the small, one-sided clock stopped working at a race. After testing by Vicky Droze and Bill, it appears that the battery will not hold a charge and needs to be replaced. Once a new battery is acquired, it will be installed in the clock. There are no other equipment issues to report at this time.

l. Chip Timing: During December 2022, three GWTC races (GWTC 10 Mile/5 Mile Challenge; Tallahassee Ultra Distance Classic 50 Mile/50K/Marathon; and Tannenbaum 6K) were chip timed. Beginning in 2023 and with only one known exception in March, only GWTC races are scheduled to be chip timed. In January 2023, three Club races will be chip timed (Swamp Forest Trail Quarter Marathon/Half Marathon/20 Mile; GWTC 30K/15K; and Bowlegs 5K Run for Scholarship). In February 2023, two Club races (Tallahassee Marathon/Half Marathon/Marathon Relay; and Flash 12K/6K) that will be chip timed.

m. Grand Prix: Mark Tombrink said it was an honor and privilege to serve on the committee. He appreciates everyone who has helped him over the past three years. The Awards Meeting came together well in January!

n. Social: Tina Bahmer reported that the budget for the Awards meeting budget was $1600 and $1558 was spent. There was an event insurance expense of $119.00. She thanked the volunteers who helped with it. The holiday party had a budget of $11,575 and the amount spent was $11,272. She secured Shiloh Farms for Dec. 16, 2023, but is considering the Hubs at Feather Oaks, which is very nice. Tina is not sure of the cost difference yet and will provide more information. She asked for any feedback or ways to improve these social events. Jerry suggested asking the band to adjust the hours and start playing after the first hour so members can socialize. Olive Garden provided the food and it was well-liked.

Jerry McDaniel will meet with Gulf Winds Credit Union since they would like to possibly provide sponsorships for some races.
Motion to adjourn was made. Meeting adjourned at 8:38 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Jeanne O’Kon
GWTC Secretary


Contact us for information about GWTC or additions to the website.
Submit race results (preferably in Excel) here.
Gulf Winds Track Club, P.O. Box 3447, Tallahassee, FL 32315